Monday 14 November 2011

I wanna do everything kind of day

I feel as though I should be writing this about a Wednesday in my calendar right now. On Wednesdays, I have ladies bible study in the morning, then I work (recently started back - short term contract) from 11:30 to 2:30pm, and last week I actually ended up working until 4:30, and then we had Matt's ball team's parent meeting and team dinner. This Wednesday, I've made plans with a friend to edit some photos in the evening. SO, if you haven't noticed Wednesdays are busy.

But here I am, it's Monday and I think the reason I'm writing this today is that I actually had some time to think as it's not quite a Wednesday.

Today I started work (last wednesday was training) by myself. I'm back at an old job at Mally Bibs, very part time, helping out over the holiday show busy time for the owners. And today was wonderful, it was SO good to be back.  Why did I leave in the first place?  I left when I started the teaching program. I was there for my three scheduled hours and didn't get nearly as much done as I was hoping to, and when I got home, I was still just-a-going. Thankfully I was able to get a little done around here on the tail end of my energy wave. However, later I was exhausted and the rest of the house shows it all too well. In fact, even Matt shows it in a way. He was a little frustrated with not getting much work done while I was absent. He's taking care of Landon while I work, so really, what is he expecting? It's only the second shift and my going back to work is trying on him and us as a family.

Tonight as I was doing my homework for the bible study (Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit - Beth Moore), she asked the question:

"Are you doing too many things to do any ONE thing well for Christ?"

In the past (before Landon) I could easily say, YES. I have always lead a busy life, too busy.

Now for the past (almost) year, I've been on maternity leave with Landon and my life has gotten much more simplified, and I LOVE it!

I love being a mom.

I am actually enjoying preparing meals for my family (this is definitely new, never used to have the time).

I don't mind cleaning nearly as much as I used to.

I am growing to tolerate and do a much better job at grocery shopping and saving money in this area.

I am being fed by attending a Women's bible study.

I even signed on for a little bit of leadership (coordination) in the area of bible studies for the women of my church.

I am serving God and serving my family and I love my life.

Now that I'm going back to work though, I noticed my calendar this week is already JAM PACKED and it's only my first week back! AND, I'm only working 9 hours a week!

So I am now trying to decipher God's plan for my life after this 4 week contract. I've signed it, I enjoy it, I will certainly fulfill my end of the deal so long as God permits me to. But what next? Is this a taste for Matt and I to see that maybe I should continue to look for similar work? or is this a taste for us to realize that God will take care of our needs and that I should stay home and serve my family?

Really, I want to do everything! I want all the time to spend on my family, plenty more time to serve in the church, a little more time to spend on friends than I currently do, and I want to work in a job that I love and feel invested in. Oh and I certainly don't want to give up any sleep for that.

Obviously much prayer is in our future.

A friend of mine mentioned just the other day that she wished a week was 10 days long instead of 7 so she'd have more time to do everything she wanted to do as well. Guess I'm not alone on this one.

Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure.

3 comments:

  1. I missed this post when you first put it up (read ones before and ones after, but this one fell off the radar somehow -hah), but just wanted to say I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN! ...actually, I've said that line about a 10 day week before so I'm not sure if you were referring to me or if you just have eerily similar friends - haha...

    on a totally unrelated note - LOVE LOVE LOVE that Beth Moore study. I've done a couple of hers, that one being the most recent (recent = last fall) - its a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ang, that was you who said the 10 day week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a favorite of mine - all the photos of this time in the park are magical!!!! xoxo auntie c

    ReplyDelete